As a followup to our discussion with President Briggs this afternoon, a few prompts, questions and discussion points we didn’t get to in our brief time in class:
- Should Berry in fact be in the business of building character?
- What should that look like?
- Are we in fact a Christian community? What does that mean? How do we agree on the moral point of view Briggs asserts in his column that we should have?
- How does freedom of expression (and religion), in Briggs’s words, “imply that all beliefs should be considered equally valid?” Where is that implication? Who should get to decide what is more (or less) valid?
- In Christian understanding, personal freedom “is a great good but not an absolute good.” What does that mean?
- Paul in Romans 14 exhorts us to serve each other out of gratitude toward Christ, to sacrifice some of our radical grace (freedom) in order to build and preserve fellowship (community). Reactions?
And any question you wanted to ask but didn’t get to. Right here. Right now.